Bible Versions

Which Bible versions do you use? (all that apply)

• King James (Authorized)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • New King James

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • New American Standard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New International Version

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Revised Authorised

• International Standard

• New English Translation

• Amplified

• New Century

• New Living

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
New King James. I've heard from trusted sources that it is the most accurate while still being reasonably easy to read.

I do have an NIV, which I use purely for getting a different perspective on a passage if I'm teaching. It seems to be that the New Living translation is becoming quite popular for this purpose now.

I remember when I was at University the Church I went to showed a documentary about the NIV. I specifically remember one section where it was reported that they are open to change words/sentences/etc. upon scientific and archaeological discoveries (the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls was given as an example), which I found a bit worrying. The Bible has foretold a lot of things and foretells things which have yet to happen - why compromise that if no-one has discovered it yet?

Jazz_UK

PS119:114
I am quite sad and have on my desk I use for studying the NKJV, NIV & NLT.

I use the NKJV for Bible Studies and often use the NLT to quote a verse or two if I am covering a difficult passage. The NIV is there as it is a study Bible and has notes that are very practical for Christian Living.

I use a Bible software that is heavy reliant on KJV for Strongs etc & I have www.biblegateway.com bookmarked for other translations.

Just call me a Bible Nerd!

Jazz

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Jazz, I hear you buddy - i often use Wuest's Expanded New Testament. Am I allowed to say that I often refer to "The Message" - although i would never dare quote from it ... i'd be linched :)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Jazz_UK said:
I use a Bible software that is heavy reliant on KJV for Strongs etc & I have www.biblegateway.com bookmarked for other translations.
Probably not telling you anything new Jazz, but Crosswalk has some excellent facilities in regard to other versions. Their search section always seems to come up trumps too - Microsoft's own website could learn a thing or two from it.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
freechurchgal said:
The NIV is most definately not the most accurate translation. The ESV is actually alot more accurate!
I'm going to sound silly here... I take it ESV stands for English Standard Version? If so I must admit I've not heard of it until your post.

Lollipop

NKJV for me...mostly

I generally prefer the NKJV because it's style and flow is more poetic. Some passages are only "right" it seems in the Authorized KJV. I used to be an NIV fan but I find it dry, or something.

I just purchased the New Living Translation for my dad, as he wanted something easy to read and he's not saved yet (to my knowledge) and yet wants to read the bible!!! Is that awesome or what??? He is not what you'd call a "reader" and I didn't want him to become discouraged with difficult words and archaic (sp?) terminology.

Skimming through it, I like it though it's not as "simple" as I was hoping. In my dad's case, the old Living Bible paraphrase would probably be more appropriate but it's out of print, which is a bummer. Not good for a study bible to be sure, but a great way, I think, for a pre-believer who doesn't read much beyond fisherman's catalogs and magazines, to become aquainted with the Word of God....

Jazz_UK

PS119:114
Lollipop said:
I just purchased the New Living Translation for my dad, as he wanted something easy to read and he's not saved yet (to my knowledge) and yet wants to read the bible!!! Is that awesome or what??? He is not what you'd call a "reader" and I didn't want him to become discouraged with difficult words and archaic (sp?) terminology.
Lollipop, Great news about your Dad! I think that the NLT is a great translation for someone who does not know all the Bible jargon to use.

I pray that he will read it, understand it, believe it and accept Jesus as his Lord and Saviour.

Jazz

PS I would also suggest that he starts reading one of the Gospels rather than get stuck in Genesis.