• Switzerland

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Only eight days away now. :)

Thoughts on matches and the tournament as a whole here please.

First question - who's going to win it?

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
i'd like to say that I think it will be either France, England or Portugal.

I say this because the French team contain sheer class, so do England although I think they have lesser individuals but are a better squad. Portugal .. well they're at home and are a real challenge.

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Last home team to win the European Championships? France, 20 years ago (I remember the final quite well for some reason - great French team with Platini, Tigana & Giresse). I think the two things which work most against the host nation are:
1) Lack of competitive matches beforehand.
2) Huge expectancy from home support.

BTW I can't stand the Portuguese goalkeeper, Baia. I'd like to see a team put about five past him.

I think Italy will win it, which is more due to a process of elimination than any other logical thinking. Here are the teams elimated from winning it, and why I don't think they can win it:
France - Best players, depth of squad, but with a manager who is in such high demand that he's going to Spurs? Really?
Holland - Dick Advocaat's in charge, anything can happen! There's a reason they needed a play-off to reach the finals, they have an uncanny ability to self-destruct.
Germany - Too weak at the moment, another iffy coach (Rudi Voller).
England - We always disappoint at the European Championships. When was the last time we got past the group stages when we weren't on home soil? Err, anyone?
Portugal - See above.
Spain - Always disappoint on the big occasion.

No-one else is strong enough to win it in my opinion, although I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other teams was one of the semi-finalists.

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Toneboy said:
France - Best players, depth of squad, but with a manager who is in such high demand that he's going to Spurs? Really?
LOL - great point Tone.

So who are your dark horses?

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Sweden (normally pretty consistent) and the Czechs (who were undefeated in qualifying and managed to knock the Dutch into second place in their group).

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Toneboy said:
Sweden (normally pretty consistent) and the Czechs (who were undefeated in qualifying and managed to knock the Dutch into second place in their group).
yeap .. i'm betting on Czech Rep to cause some upsets too

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
In their final warm-up game last night Germany lost 2-0 at home against Hungary. :eek:

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Toneboy said:
In their final warm-up game last night Germany lost 2-0 at home against Hungary. :eek:
that doesn't look promising does it. Mind you, I'd love to see Germany go our in the first round ;)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Well that's a pretty major spanner in the works for the hosts. Fair play to Greece, they fully deserved their win in my opinion. They really fought for each other, the way team-mates should.

It got me thinking about all the unusual participants you tend to see in the final of this competition. Okay, in 2000 you had France and Italy, but four years before that you had the Czech Republic. In 1992 you had Denmark (the eventual winners, amusingly) who hadn't even qualified for the tournament - they were only there because of the war in Yugoslavia (who won the Danes' qualifying group). And you might think looking back that the Dutch reaching the final in 1988 wasn't a big deal, but they'd missed the two previous World Cups prior to that. I'll also mention Czechoslovakia in 1976, just because that's another amusing game involving the Germans. :D

(BTW I don't hate the Germans, but if World Football was a pantomime they would be the villain of the piece.)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
What a ridiculous chain of events. That's a team defeat - just about everyone contributed towards it! Beckham misses another penalty, then Sven takes Rooney off, bringing on Heskey in his place. Heskey concedes a needless free-kick, Zidane scores as David James doesn't move. Steven Gerrard sets up a penalty and this time James does move, far too early, giving Zidane a simple task. What a joke! :mad:

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Toneboy said:
What a ridiculous chain of events. That's a team defeat - just about everyone contributed towards it! Beckham misses another penalty, then Sven takes Rooney off, bringing on Heskey in his place. Heskey concedes a needless free-kick, Zidane scores as David James doesn't move. Steven Gerrard sets up a penalty and this time James does move, far too early, giving Zidane a simple task. What a joke! :mad:
but you're not bitter, right ;)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday was possibly one of the least convincing 3-0 wins I've ever seen. If the Croatians play the way they did against France they'll give us a tough game.

My nutrionist has suggested that because I've lived up here for nearly seven years I'm "basically Scottish". Well, about as much as Nigel Quashie I suppose. ;)

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Czech vs Netherlands - WHAT A GAME! Felt the ref was awful though.

Here comes my dark horse bet!

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm prepared to pick the Semi-Final winners... Holland and the Czech Republic.

Apparently referee Urs Meier has had over 16,000 e-mails since the England-Portugal game. Also The Sun have planted an English flag outside his home. Nice. :rolleyes:

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Well, I'd hate to see Holland go thru - their football hasn't been as good as either Greeces or Portugals.

Ideally i would have liked to have seen a Czech and Greece final - but not I'm hoping for a Portugals and Czech final (with Czech the winners)

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Agree fully with that. The Greeks have been superb, shame that they have to meet the Czechs in the semi final.

If Holland win then Dick Advocaat is the luckiest manager in European Championship history.

will

Im very happy that greece put out the Czechs. They have played so well the past matches im backing them to win. I backed them tonight as well so its nice to be right lol.