The Alpha Course

Toneboy

Administrator
Staff member
Seemingly it is coming up to the time of year where a lot of Churches really push the Alpha Course to both their members and non-Christians alike. According to some figures I have heard about a million people will take this course in Scotland this year (seems a bit optimistic to me, but there you go).

Being honest I don't know much about it, so what are the pros/cons of it? I've heard concerns about the amount that is spent advertising it, does anyone have a figure that is confirmed anywhere in the media?

Toneboy said:
Being honest I don't know much about it, so what are the pros/cons of it? I've heard concerns about the amount that is spent advertising it, does anyone have a figure that is confirmed anywhere in the media?
i will try to answer your two questions, but the last one first.

Advertising - There is a significant amount of money spent on advertising the alpha course, this is mainly by Alpha Course Ltd (or whatever they are called), not the local churches. I have seen it on buses, billboards & even on TV at football grounds. Therefore for those who write & publish the books, it looks like it is a great money earner.

It has became the Christian equivalent of MacDonalds or Domino's Pizza franchise. They advertise but you have to pay for and attend their leader's course, buy your leader's manuals, books, videos etc. Every course that is run the people buy more manuals/books etc and therefore they make more money & can then advertise more!

But....this does not really answer the question whether the Alpha Course is good or bad for the church, it just shows that they are good at marketing their product.

My opinion.... I stress that this is just what I have read or discussed - I have never attended an Alpha course... I will share in later reply, once I have had time to put some thought into it rather than do it off the cuff ;)

Jazz

Seems sad that people will chose to talk about or try to discuss something they know nothing about when a very simple search will satisfy any curiosity.