Understanding the Bible.

Dave

Having recently started to learn more about God, I bought my first Bible yesterday. Been logical I've started at the beginnig, already I'm confused with Genesis. How to you interpretate the passages to get their true meaning? Should I be adopting a different approach? Look forward to hearing from you all. :rolleyes:

lawrensons

CoffE Moderator
Staff member
Dave said:
Having recently started to learn more about God, I bought my first Bible yesterday. Been logical I've started at the beginnig, already I'm confused with Genesis. How to you interpretate the passages to get their true meaning? Should I be adopting a different approach? Look forward to hearing from you all. :rolleyes:
Hi Dave, and welcome!

While it usually seems logical to start at the beginning of a book - the Bible is no ordinary book! My advise is to start in the John and go back to Genesis after some of the "new testament" books.

The approach to adopt when trying to understand the Bible is the same in any other book - here are some pointers:

1. Take a literal apporach - what did it mean to the first readers?
2. It says what it says despite what I think it says.
3. If something seems out of this world, it probably is..

Try reading a section and asking God to reaveal somthing spiritual to you about this section.

There are plenty of other resources for when you get stuck:

1. Post here, someone is bound to help.
2. Try www.blueletterbible.org - go to the section you are reading and click on the "L" button. That will bring up all kinds of helps.

Dave

Very useful reply thank you. I think i'm trying to understand it all at the first read - impossible i know.

oliverlow

reading the bible

I sometimes end up scratching my head over the bible. But of course, like lawrensons writes, it's no ordinary book.

The books of the bible were written by a variety of people for a variety of audiences, over a long period of time.
I agree with lawrensons, the Gospel's are a good place to start.

The Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke are often called the synoptic gospels, because they are a synposis of Jesus life and teaching, and are similar. John is more mystical.
The majority of the rest of the New Testament is made up of letters from early Christians, St. Paul in particular, explaining things, encouraging, and giving practical advice on how to live a Christian life.
A lot of the Old Testament is concerned with a history of Israel, and covers successions of kings, and a lot of fighting and killing, which for me has not got much to do with living a Christian life.
Some people don't read the Old Testament at all.

Perhaps start by reading Luke, to get an idea of Jesus' life.
Then read Ephesians to get an idea of the basics of Christian living.
Then read John, for a different angle on Jesus' life. This Gospel is quite spiritual and a bit mystical in places, and Jesus says things which are difficult to understand.
Then read Romans, which explains a lot of things about Christianity and how Jesus relates to us humans, although it is rather philosphical. Paul also says things which are difficult to understand.
The trick to reading John and Romans is to read a little bit at a time, and then have a think, and ask other people for help. And pray.

One thing I would say, is that not all Bible's are the same. The various books were written in various languages, none of which was English! and translations vary. My own preference is the New International Version, which is commonly read in churches, because it is primarily concerned with accuracy of meaning. It's also worth getting a Bible which has marginal references - these are little notes in the margin that point out passages that refer to other parts of the bible - and they are very numerous. Jesus often refers to the old testamanet, and St Paul even more so. The marginal references can help you understand what they are talking about.

Dave

Thanks for the info. I'm reading Luke at the moment and think its wonderful. I'm starting to understand the text better. However, the sections of the Old Testment I've read, as you say, are difficult to grasp.
I'm looking forward to the journey though.

Maureen

I think you explanation to Dave on the reading of the Bible is very good.
I myself love St Paul's writings, I did as you Dave I started at Genesis also and just about got through to Exodus when I realized something wasn't right, then I was told to read bits at random, I just love the New Testament it is much easier to understand, what I found helpful too was using the N.I.V and the King James and what I couldn't understand in one I found explained better in the other. The book of Ruth is a lovely story in itself and I have heard a few preach on it.
Well that's my twopennys worth anyway Godbless You.

Phocas

After 32 years of reading, memorising, studying and so on I'm still finding new meanings in the bible. I don't think we ever stop learning from it.

Don't try to understand it - sort of let is wash over you and as you put its precepts into action in your life you'll find whole new vistas of meaning opening up.